fast money here

mercredi 11 mars 2015

Successful Marketing, Vampire Fangs and a Trip to the Co-Op

The other day, I popped into the co-op for some milk. (Note for readers not from our sunny little isles: the co-operative is a chain of shops, some big supermarkets but also some little convenience shops. For some reason they also have a thriving funeral service.)
As I was stood in the queue, waiting for the till (another note for those unfortunate enough not to live in Britain, with it's cold dark, wet winters and blazing lukewarm summers: a queue is what you might call a line. Except you might have shops too efficient to have them. It's a given in a co-op that you have to queue).
And the woman in front of me happened to spot a friend of hers in the shop - and they started talking. Loudly - so I could avoid hearing even if I looked away and hummed loudly to myself. She was no youngster so maybe her hearing was a little weak. Never mind.
But it made me chuckle, when I heard what they were saying.
It started off with the usual "How are you" which led to quite a litany of complaints, including the weather.
Then went on to complaining about money. And how poor they were. And how it wasn't their fault, no.
It was the fault of "rich people", who never let the poor have a chance.
After all, "The rich get richer and the poor get poorer". (Whenever I hear that I wonder if the person has ever read "The Road to Wigan Pier" - find out how actual poor people lived in the 20s and 30s. Or what about finding out what it was like in the stews of London in Victorian times. Still thing the poor are getting poorer?)
Don't worry, I'm getting to the point shortly...
Anyway, then they complained about the government and how it was all their fault. (Another note to the non-British: we currently have a coalition between a fairly left wing part called the Liberal Democrats and a centre right party called the Conservatives. People complain about "Tory cuts" because the current government has increased spending more slowly than they'd like.)
The "punchline" is coming soon...
Anyway, the friend started getting ready to go off and do the rest of her shopping and left with a parting shot of "The poor never get a chance and never will, that's for sure".
I didn't know where to look - would they think I was part of the evil rich? I don't have vampire teeth or a hooded cape, nor do I consider myself properly rich. No private jet or multiple houses. But I have a nice house, a nice car, no money worries and can afford to live pretty much how I like. Would it all be my fault, if she only happened to spot me?
Luckily, it was her turn next, so I'll never find out whether the poor being repressed is all my fault.
But I struggled not to burst out laughing at what happened next.
After the cashier had rung up her bits and pieces, the woman said "Just two scratchcards today, I'm skint. Roll on Friday."
So it's all the fault of the rich that she's poor. And gambling on a regular basis has nothing to do with it. Nor the mindset that says that's OK, rather than using your money for something useful.
Look, I'm not condemning everyone who's ever bought a lottery scratchcard. But for mercy's sake, do it with money you don't need. Don't do it with any significant amount of money if you think of yourself as poor. And be very careful about getting into a habit of regularly spending money on something like that.
Anyway, that isn't really why I wanted to write about it today. If you read my jottings, chances are you aren't daft enough to be gambling your last few quid like that.
At least, not in your "normal" life. But what about in your business?
Some people do.
If their business is struggling (or even if it's not), they'll chuck money at some marketing to bring in new customers and solve the problem... without really knowing whether it's likely to work. Maybe based on a hunch... or just blind optimism.
Just like scratchcards, that's OK if you can easily afford to lose. But if not, find out what's likely to work first. Not by listening to some shiny suited video guru. But from people who've been there and done that in a real business. Then try it without spending a fortune... test it in a small way.
Then if it works, try it in a slightly bigger way. Only put the big money in once you know it works.
Do it like that and before long, it'll all be your fault. You'll have to buy your own vampire fangs and dark cape.
This article is taken from Tim Wakeling's series of helpful marketing emails - all about how to sell more, based on his experiences running a successful book publishing company. Sign up (and get a free booklet), free, here: www.timwakeling.com and put your email address in the box on the right of that page. (Lots of tips that could make your marketing more effective there)
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Tim_Wakeling

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/8949383

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire